- Vitassium® is a medical food specifically formulated to provide sodium and potassium for the clinical dietary management for patients with autonomic dysfunction including Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome (POTS), Ehlers Danlos Syndrome (EDS), Addison's Disease, Cystic Fibrosis (CF), and Vasovagal Syncope, when increased plasma volume has been shown to be beneficial.
- Vitassium helps to maintain electrolyte levels, to support healthy blood pressure, and to reduce fatigue and dizziness due to low blood pressure.
- Contains potassium to assist in regulating the balance of water between plasma (blood) and within the cell. In general, excess potassium would be excreted in the urine.
- Made in the USA at cGMP facility. Learn more about our manufacturing and safety.
- Each serving (2 capsules) contains: 500 mg sodium (22 mmol sodium, 1270 mg sodium chloride), 100 mg potassium.
- Tasteless capsules are small (size 0) and easy on the stomach.
- Vitassium is non-GMO, vegan, gluten free, preservative free, allergen free, starch free.
- Ingredients: Sodium chloride, potassium citrate, vegetarian stearic acid, vegetable capsule.
- Suggested use: As a medical food, take one to two (1-2) capsules with water, three to four (3-4) times a day, for up to ten (10) capsules daily.
- Available in 8ct daily-use packets and 100ct bottles.
Why Choose Vitassium
Vitassium® is specifically formulated to provide sodium and potassium for the clinical dietary management for patients with autonomic dysfunction including Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome (POTS), Ehlers Danlos Syndrome (EDS), Addison's Disease, Cystic Fibrosis (CF), and Vasovagal Syncope, when increased plasma volume has been shown to be beneficial. Vitassium helps to maintain electrolyte levels, to support healthy blood pressure, and to reduce fatigue and dizziness due to low blood pressure.
Clean & Simple Ingredients
SaltStick Electrolytes are made in the USA at an FDA-inspected cGMP (current Good Manufacturing Practices) facility. All ingredients in Vitassium are clearly labeled on the bottle.
Vitassium ingredients: Sodium chloride, Potassium citrate, hypromellose, stearic acid
Detailed Usage Guide
Vitassium is intended for use under medical supervision. If you are an individual whose physician has recommended additional intake of salt (sodium), Vitassium may be helpful to increase your electrolyte intake in a simple capsule format. With easily-quantified dosing of 250mg sodium (635mg salt, 11 mmol) per capsule, it makes it easy to take just the right amount for the desired intake. Vitassium also contains potassium in a 5:1 ratio that provides a balanced intake of both major blood electrolytes. Potassium citrate also acts as a buffering agent to minimize pH changes in the blood, and can help soothe the stomach.
Vitassium comes in smaller, size “0” vegetarian capsules that are easy to eat and easy on the stomach, especially as compared with salt (sodium chloride) tablets. Capsules should be consumed with water.
What Vitassium doesn’t have also matters. Vitassium is made from non-GMO ingredients, and is vegan, gluten free, preservative free, allergen free, and starch free.
It is often recommended to increase both fluid and salt intake in order to increase blood volume, which is typically low in POTS patients. This has been shown to be particularly helpful in patients with blood pooling, hypovolemia, or hypotension1. Except for the hyperadrenergic subtype of POTS, a fluid intake of approximately two liters and an intake of three to five grams of salt is often recommended per day2.
Every individual will have a different “ideal” usage and dosage. We strongly encourage you to consult with your physician on what may work best for you. To assist with making the association between salt intake and Vitassium intake easier, we have prepared the following table:
For example, if your doctor suggests taking 4g (4000mg) salt per day, that would equal 6-7 Vitassium capsules. To reduce the chance of stomach irritation, we suggest spreading out the dosage in 3-4 smaller doses throughout the day. For example, 2 capsules per serving, taken 4x per day would provide 5g of salt, or 2000mg sodium.
If you are using other products containing sodium, be sure to compare sodium values or sodium chloride values against each other, and remember that the two values are not equal. It is also worth noting that 1 Vitassium capsule (250mg Na) equals 11mmol sodium, which is another unit of measure sometimes seen on products containing sodium.
Vitassium is designated as a medical food, as defined in 21 U.S.C. 360ee (b) (3) as a food which is formulated to be consumed under the supervision of a physician and which is intended for the specific dietary management of a disease or condition for which distinctive nutritional requirements, based on recognized scientific principles, are established by medical evaluation.
1) Abed, Howraa, Patrick A. Ball, and Le-Xin Wang. “Diagnosis and Management of Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome: A Brief Review.” Journal of Geriatric Cardiology 9 (2012): 61-67.
2) Grubb, Blair P. “Postural Tachycardia Syndrome.” Circulation: Journal of the American Heart Association 117 (2008): 2814-817.
Backed By Research
Toker Engineering has been a leading supplier and expert on electrolytes for over 15 years. Rigorous and self-imposed testing standards for SaltStick products exceed government requirements. Manufacturing occurs at a fully-certified site in the USA, from local ingredients whenever possible, all of the highest pharmaceutical quality. SaltStick has been trusted by doctors who feel their patients would benefit from additional intake of electrolytes.
Vitassium is SaltStick’s improved solution to ongoing demand for a potent sodium source that is easy on the stomach, in a compact vegetarian capsule. To help more people, we have partnered with Dysautonomia International, the non-profit dedicated to funding research and information on autonomic diseases, including POTS (Postural Orthostatic Tachacardia Syndrome) and EDS (Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome).
Based on extensive research and discussions with physicians who specialize in cardiology and pediatric medicine, Vitassium was formulated with just a few simple ingredients: sodium chloride and potassium citrate in a vegetarian capsule, with a tiny amount of stearic acid (*naturally present in many foods) added as a processing agent. Feedback from patients using SaltStick Caps reinforced the capsule format as stomach-friendly. Reducing the capsule size allows smaller individuals to consume the capsule, with fluid, more easily than the larger SaltStick Caps product.
Visit the Vitassium Science page for more background on sodium supplementation in POTS, EDS and elderly orthostatic intolerance.